How to learn to drive a manual transmission in 45 minutes

The patent-pending, I-will-sue-your-ass-if-you-use-it, guaranteed-not-to-fail-or-your-money-back!

If you follow these steps you will learn how to drive a stick shift in about 45 minutes. Driving a stick shift will let you:

1. get more mpg (manuals have higher EPA ratings than automatics)
  2. reduce your car repair expenses. (Automatic transmissions have more moving parts and are more complex.)
  3. reduce your car maintenance expenses. (You can coast up to stoplights rather than having your food on the accelerator until the moment you are slamming on the brake.)

I learned to drive in Michigan and went to college in a town that had snow, ice, more snow, more ice and hills that is some cases were as bad as San Francisco’s (only with ice).

I have taught a bunch of people (~8) how to drive a stick shift this way and have had 0 failures and everyone of them could drive a stick after 45 minutes (assuming you already know how to drive).

The basics
Get a manual transmission car to a parking lot. This parking lot will have 4 features:

1. empty
  2. speed bumps
  3. fairly long straight section
  4. flat

Generally a office building’s parking lot on weekends works best. Not-so-good: a mall’s parking lot during Christmas.

Lesson #1:

1. Get the car so that you have the maximum empty straightaway ahead of you.
  2. Do NOT touch the gas.
  3. Press in clutch (and keep it in)
  4. Put car in first gear.
  5. Turn on car
  6. Do NOT touch the gas pedal (at all)
  7. Slowly ease the clutch out (very slowly)
  8. At some point you will feel the clutch start to engage and the car will start to inch forward.
  9. Do NOT touch the gas pedal (at all)
  10. Continue to slowly ease the clutch pedal out.
  11. LISTEN to the car engine. Watch the tachometer if the car has one.
  12. Don’t freak if the car stalls. Just remember what the tachometer reading was when it stalled and restart it.
  13. If the car starts to stall, push the clutch in – do NOT touch the gas
  14. Continue to slowly ease the gasclutch [Ed: thanks Yoj and Heather] pedal out, letting the car pick up speed.
  15. At some point, hopefully before you run out of parking lot, the clutch will be completely out and the car will be doing about ~7 mph.
  16. Without stopping, press in clutch (and keep it in)
  17. Put car in second gear.
  18. Do NOT touch the gas pedal (at all)
  19. Slowly (very slowly) ease the clutch out until once again you are not pressing in the clutch at all.
  20. Pay attention to the sound of the car engine and the tachometer reading. Try to get as close to the stall point without stalling
  21. Repeat for 3rd, 4th gears (if possible before crashing into bushes)
  22. Do NOT touch the gas pedal (at all)
  23. Turn car around.

Lesson #2:

1. Repeat Lession #1 – each time trying to ease the clutch out faster and faster
  2. Do NOT touch the gas pedal (at all)
  3. Pay attention to the sound of the car engine and the tachometer reading. Try to get as close to the stall point without stalling

Lesson #3: Hills

1. Drive car to first speed bump.
  2. Press in clutch (and keep it in)
  3. Put car in first gear.
  4. Do NOT touch the gas pedal (at all)
  5. Slowly ease the clutch out (very slowly) until the car begins to creep over the speed bump.
  6. Stop releasing clutch. Let the car’s engine be engaged just enough so that you don’t roll backward but not enough to actually go forward.
  7. Play with clutch to rock back and forth with the front tires slowly climbing/descending the speed bump.
  8. Repeat until you don’t roll off the speed bump either direction.

This is how you handle hills on a stick shift. Only with a real hill you will need to use a little bit of the gas pedal as well. But you will not use the brake. (For the most part).

[18 June 2012 Update]: In reply to Aaron, et. al. saying this lesson will “ruin the clutch”,

1. Proof? Just because you think it should be true doesn’t make it so. (link to something on cartalk or some other mechanic’s site would be good)
  2. Riding the clutch continuously for miles may ruin a clutch. However, Lesson #3 is a controlled situation for a few seconds at most. Any clutch that fails under these circumstances was already close to the end of life.
  3. Lesson #3 is a lesson on the path to being comfortable with a manual transmission car. As a driver gets more comfortable with hills, the student will master the situation. Doing a brake to gas transition will be easier and less scary. For the manual transmission student, Lesson #3 provides an easier path to mastery. Once they have mastered this technique then they can work on the more advanced technique of brake directly to gas. New-to-manual transmission drivers have a hard time on FLAT ground doing the brake to gas transition.
  4. Some situations still require use of the partial clutch:
    • ice – brakes with locked wheels can result in backward sliding
    • very steep hills
    • lack of recent experience on hills
    • nervousness

Lesson #4: Jump Starting and confidence building

1. Repeat Lesson #1 – quickly getting the car going.
  2. Press in clutch (and keep it in)
  3. Put car in first gear.
  4. Turn off car (while it is rolling about ~17 mph)
  5. Press in clutch (and keep it in)
  6. Put car in first gear.
  7. Turn key to ON position (but do not start the car)
  8. Release the clutch as fast as you can by letting your foot slid off the pedal. (“popping the clutch”)
  9. The car will jerk around and if you are going fast enough it will start up on its own….. and the car will be just fine.

Lesson #5: Go practice on the streets.

In summary:

1. Don’t press the gas pedal. People who don’t know how to drive stick shifts leap on the gas pedal like it is the last raft off the Titanic.
  2. If the car is going to stall, press the clutch not the gas pedal. Pressing the gas pedal will send you leaping into traffic. Pressing the clutch is much safer.
  3. Don’t freak if you stall – it ain’t a big deal. And flip off the asshole behind you with the horn.
  4. Really feel your car and it’s stall point.
  5. Relax.

That’s it .. and be sure to send your check. o.k.?

This entry was posted in entertainment, how to. Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to How to learn to drive a manual transmission in 45 minutes

1. Pingback: Just wondering…. » Blog Archive » How to drive a manual transmission

2. Anonymous says:

I wish I had a stick shift to practice in … /sigh

3. Kevyn says:

I used this method starting 15 years ago to teach my 5 kids to drive a stick shift only for hill starts we moved from the parking lot to a quite subdivision with real hills. At first they didn’t think it was possible to start out going up a hill with only the clutch, no gas. It’s all about feel. Two recommendations, there is nothing wrong with using a hand brake when starting on a hill and when jump starting a car I would recommend 2 gear not first.

4. LC says:

Thank you for posting this. I thought I drove a stick well, but your method makes it clear that I get on the gas too much. Next time I get a stick, I’ll use your method to hone my skills.

5. PETER says:

• Learnedonastick says:

I think it’s ridiculous that he says you should slip the clutch and not need the brake on hills. Thats all wrong if you want to avoid ruining the clutch. Premature failure is never fun!

• Aaron says:

Agreed. Lesson #3 will ruin you clutch. The clutch is a friction plate (kind of like your brakes), so you’re basically wearing your clutch down if you use it to stay stationary on an incline. Use your brakes and learn how to get the car moving without it rolling back. Just takes a little practice.

• patrick says:

Brief response: If you are learning to drive a clutch, the important thing is the confidence building. Using clutch slipping constantly is “bad”, but so is rolling down the hill or panicking.

6. Jim says:

This [Ed: “this” referring to what exactly?] is a great way to destroy your clutch.

7. anon says:

It is much easier on the clutch to just put the car in neutral and brake when trying to stay stationary on a hill.

8. will says:

thanks ill try it out 🙂

9. Eric says:

I liked this article. I wish i had a car to learn how to drive though :/

10. Tom says:

Good article! I just can’t wait to run my auto Ford Escort into the grave and buy a dang manual car! Thinking a del sol…lol

11. Rapid Roy says:

I likes to drive fast. 🙂

12. Gary says:

Awesome write up. Trying to get the 2012 Mustang 5.0L now. Its going to be my first manual car. Wish me luck lol

• peter says:

mustangs are waste of money.

• Thompson says:

I beg to differ with that all so intellectual statement…
        My Mustang is the best car I have ever purchased. I have driven in every type of weather imagined. Furthermore, I can and do roast most people out there foolish enough to try me. Sucks when 400 HP gives you clowns buyers remorse. 😉

• Steve says:

You have to love a mustang to own one. If you don’t like ford. And only like the 67 shelby than every other mustang is a waste of money and time. But that goes with any car. Same goes for camaro, viper, corvette, you have to love and appreciate the car to own it. If you don’t appreciate, your wasting your money and you should be driving a chevy cruze or corolla

13. lina says:

Omg thank you so much. I learned more from reading this than my uncle and dad trying to teach me. I feel more comfortable driving my new car.

14. Yoj says:

Lesson #1:
    These steps a bit confusing. Please review back the two steps.
    14.Continue to slowly ease the gas pedal out letting the car pick up speed.
    19.Slowly ease the clutch out (very slowly) until once again you are not pressing in the clutch at all.

15. Heather says:

I don’t know if you (or anyone) will actually see this, but I have a question about step #14 in Lesson #1… did you mean to say “ease the clutch pedal out?” I was under the impression that we weren’t supposed to touch the gas pedal at all during Lesson #1. Thanks! Excited to try this!

16. Li'lg says:

I’ve been trying to teach my 16 year old without much success. Took her to a parking lot and your lesson 1 with no gas got her to feel when the clutch engages. When we went back onto the street, she stalled once instead of fifty times. Last week she was so bad that she made the “check engine” light come on. Thanks to you, she now feels that she will master this!

17. Sheila says:

thank you so much, I learned more from reading this

18. Zak says:

Thanks for this article. I’ve been driving for years but just got my first stick shift. Your method got me on the road, stopped the stalling, and gave me the confidence to enjoy driving a manual (which is every bit as much fun as people said). Not a bad way to spend 45 minutes!

19. Mike says:

Whether or not there is any damage to the clutch or driveline the lessons and producing a better driver are far more worthwhile. Peter, Learnedonastick, Aaron and ESPECIALLY Jim who all bad mouthed your method are all idiots. The small amount of wear and tear are nothing to worry about.
    I have over 50 years of driving in competition, seven world records at Bonneville, Elmirage and Muroc, have built hundreds of race cars. Your simple method is the best.

Oh, and Peter, why would ya say that Mustangs are a waste? Sounds so childish, like fords versus chevys…. quit flappin your lips so you can listen and learn instead.

20. cheruiyot evans says:

Wow! thats perfect, i have tried And it really works!

21. Ann says:

Thanks!! I drive a stick OK. But have a terrible fear of rolling back into some idiot 2 inches from my bumper at a stop light on a hill. My husband is having foot problems right now & I have to drive his Honda S2000 to have it serviced tomorrow. I think your advice will help me out! Also for reference my Mustang convertible is a great car!

• patrick says:

@Ann –

The hardest thing about driving a stick is that rolling-all-the-way-down-the-hill fear.

I am sure you can overcome it and I am glad this post could help.

22. Thess says:

Are you responsible for the clutch repairs in lesson 3?
    You ask for checks, but will you cover damage that your advice is
    going to cause.

• patrick says:

Funny. This post teaches how to drive a manual transmission. The clutch will be ruined by inexperienced drivers. This post gets them to the experienced stage so that clutch will never be ruined. As a point of fact, I have never had to replace a clutch in any manual transmission car I drive. And I keep them for years.

23. George says:

I purchased my 1999 Miata specifically for its 5-speed stick, and (even more importantly) because my wife refuses to drive anything except an automatic. If I always want to know where my beloved “roller skate” is located, I will now have to put this web site on her “banned list”. Are the dire consequences of such foul manipulation somehow less stressful than watching her learn how to drive my precious toy? Silly question. Of course!

24. swamy says:

Awesome write up! Waiting for my 328i manual & been tracking it like crazy! Have driven c0mfortably on flat surfaces with a Suzuki long ago but a bit anxious now about hill starts, esp reversing.

25. Adeola Susan says:

Bravo, Breakthru. Thanks for d writeup.

26. JK says:

Thanks. It helped a lot

27. Nat says:

I started driving a five speed about a month ago and even I know thats a GREAT way to ruin your Clutch, some of this is great! but coming from a new five speed driver ignore most of it. It will ruin your car faster then you can learn how to drive it.

28. steve bougui says:

i just wanna to learn in perfect way manual transmission car on ice and snow weather condition. Driving manual transmission car on slippery road specifictly.

29. steve bougui says:

Is someone can tell me which gear RPM speed that i should stay most of time on ice and snow road weather condition from driving a stick shift car.

• Richard says:

Sorry, dude- if every manual car was the same in terms of what RPM to stay at, learning stick would be a piece of pie. I’m pretty sure it’s the same, just try to maintain a lower overall speed. Never driven on ice, but have driven on some *very* slick conditions on rainy days. Maybe its different on ice….

• patrick says:

As Richard says, each car is very individual. (Even if 2 cars from the same model/year). You have to learn each car. As the car ages there are also subtle changes as well.

With experience figuring out the stall point isn’t that hard, the car will start stalling and you as the driver will learn.

The important thing is to use the clutch to avoid the stall.

30. apata olajide says:

I will like to try it but I don’t tink I can find a good road to try it anywhere close to me

31. Amanda says:

Thank you for this. When I first learned to drive my mom tried to teach me to drive a manual because that was the only car we had at the time and I was so terrified of the clutch I couldn’t do it, that was 10 years ago and I’ve only driven automatics since. I was about to buy a car last weekend when I came across this and decided to buy a manual instead 10 years after failing to learn to drive one. I had my sister drive me to a deserted parking lot and followed these steps. It didn’t have speed bumps but it did have a stop sign on a steep hill. After feeling the clutch and taking off from that stop sign a couple of times I drove the car all the way home. I can’t say thank you enough!

32. Jo says:

I have five daughters and have been trying to teach three of them how to drive a manual. I learned when I was a teen, but what came natural to me is going right over their heads. Definitely trying this. Thanks.

33. Jay says:

Stumbled across this post after two failed attempts to teach my daughter to drive a stick. Personally, I had never heard of, or tried, to start out of first without using the gas pedal. We were trying again tonight, with the same herky jerky problems, when I randomly mentioned what I read here. She tried it once AND IT WORKED! In less than 45 minutes, she drove the car all the way home. Thank you!

34. Kris says:

Oh please let this work!!! I’ve been trying to teach my 16 year old daughter to drive a 6 speed jeep for 9 months and it’s not pretty!! She gets so frustrated that she’s pretty much given up.

35. I love driving as a profession, but Manual is the best car to drive

36. Nokuthula Kholwane says:

I’m currently doing lessons at a Driving school and we have a manual car (which is currently parked at home) and my worst fear is rolling on an uphill road and we have lots of these around here. so, I’ll definitely try your methods…I need to start driving this car…am tired of waiting for Hubby to return from his business travels to drive for me.

37. jenniferce says:

I’m 17 and my dad just bought a manual jeep wrangler yesterday so I’m still very inexperienced driving it. I was originally giving it too much gas and the car would jump forward after every stop. The first lesson helped a lot and I got a much better feel for the clutch. I’m guessing this isn’t a method to use all of the time but it certainly helped! I haven’t tried the third lesson or any hill starts yet. What’s the purpose of that method exactly and why wouldn’t you use the break?

• patrick says:

By practicing avoiding the brake on an easy hill, the new driver learns to handle starting up on a very steep hill without panicking.

You are right that these are lessons, as you get more comfortable you will adjust your driving style. For example, constant use of the clutch partially engaged can be bad. But ruining a clutch in this way takes months or a year. You are not going to ruin the clutch in the first 500 times you use this technique as a student driver.

If you are always dealing with hills, you will graduate to other, better techniques and the clutch will last for years.

38. Gus says:

So say I’m at a stop sign or stop light can I just put the car in first fear. In with the clutch and then out with no gas and the car will move? I keep stalling the car at stop lights and holding up traffic. Its destroying my confidence.

• patrick says:

@Gus – Yes you can provided you do so slooowly. The car needs to be moving about 5 mph (depending) on the car before you can have the clutch completely disengaged. However, this will take a few seconds of car honking. The exercise to do this is practice in a parking lot to help boost your ability.

39. Cliff says:

As a beginner, it becomes very difficult to even start a car as you need to know how to balance the gas and clutch. Once it starts, it becomes a lot more easier. I tried lesson 1 today and my car kept stalling but after 2-3 attempts I completed the task.

40. keotitmakara says:

I just learn driving a car with my father with guide.And when my father not at home.I always drive alone with my a little experience that my father told me.I knew it’s so dangerous for me. thank your for your information.

41. JiggleBaby501 says:

I’ve always wanted to learn, but grew up in a flat, sunny / no snow EVER area and now I live in a hilly / snows w/ice every year and heck I’m just afraid to drive with my automatic much less a stick shift, but I still want to learn. Once bought a manual transmission car in my hometown after 2 hrs riding with the salesperson who convinced me I could, but that night, driving home alone, in the busy fast lane I lost my mind and couldn’t remember anything of what I was supposed to do. I panicked, got off at the next off ramp where, of course, I came across a slight hill with a stop light at the top. A Mercedes was right behind me. I stalled out, my new car rolled back and slightly bumped his, I freaked out, put on the emergency brake and sat there as he went around me, yelling that I was a b*tch. I somehow made it home and the next day MADE the car lot trade me for an automatic. Now over the years, I find that manual transmissions save a lot of $$ over automatics and despite the even harder conditions, it really would be nice to learn it. Do you think this old dog could learn a new trick with stick?

42. Fran says:

I tried to teach my teen how to drive stick last night and he failed miserably for 3o minutes! He managed to move it a few feet twice and one time he made it to 2nd gear. Thankfully we laughed about it. I told him I would Google how to teach him a better way and found this article. I’m hoping it really helps him on tmrw’s lesson! Thanks!

43. Miss.Ritz :) says:

just curious , i started driving a standard 3 months ago .. im just wondering how you ever managed to get your car moving on flat ground without touching the gas pedal “AT ALL ” .. ? lol , sure she rolls .. but your not going to manage to drive anywhere on a real road without ever putting your foot on the gas .

44. Anne says:

so i am taking driving lessons at and my husband insists that i learn with a stick, and i just wanted to say thank you for your post. hopefully it will give me a leg up on the situation!

45. emi says:

I just bought a stick shift and can manage getting around but will definitely try this to increase my confidence. I have some questions about lesson 5:
    For steps 2-6
    2. Press in clutch (and keep it in)
    3. Put car in first gear.
    4. Turn off car (while it is rolling about ~17 mph)
    5. Press in clutch (and keep it in)
    6. Put car in first gear.

For step 4, do you turn off the car with the clutch in or out? It seems like it should be out because later you say it press it back in. But you also said to keep it in in step 2. It seems like if you turned off the car with the clutch out it would make you stop or something, so I want to keep it in when I turn it off. However, I haven’t actually tried it yet so I don’t know. Thanks.

46. Carey says:

Hi all, I’m a UK Government Approved Driving Instructor and Advanced Driving Examiner. In the UK the majority of our vehicles are manual (or “stick shift” as they are called in Nth America). I personally drive an auto as my private car and a manual for teaching learners to drive. Each has its good and bad points. Whilst I think the above posts are commendable in an attempt to help people drive “stick shifts” the method described is not conducive to learning it correctly. My main comment is in answer to those who wish to know why the driver shouldn’t press the gas pedal prior to moving away. This can be explained by the simple difference between that of a diesel fuelled vehicle which can and will move without the use of the gas or accelerator pedal – however a petrol engine will not move and instead stall unless the gas pedal is pressed. Learning to move the vehicle by not stalling is much better than allowing it to stall – essentially looking down at the rev counter on the dash is not safe as all drivers should be looking in the mirrors and out of the windows for approaching hazards prior to moving away. An easier way of learning and doing is as follows: Ensure parking or hand brake is applied, check gears are in neutral, turn engine on, press clutch to floor and select first gear, allow clutch up very very slowly (a quarter of an inch at a time) until a dull tone can be heard from the engine and slight vibration felt in back of thighs – IMMEDIATELY this is heard push the clutch down the width of a quarter coin at a time until the dull tone disappears and HOLD your foot steady – there is no need to push the clutch all the way to the floor. Now carry out your safety observations all around the vehicle to ensure it is safe to move away. Remember NOT to move your clutch as you shuffle your body to look around the vehicle. I have an easy method of correctly carrying out safety observations but that’s another story. At that point press the gas or accelerator for fuel about the width of a quarter coin until the engine makes a gentle sound of revving – NO more revving is needed. Remember there are three reasons for a gas pedal 1. to give the engine fuel to make it work PRIOR to moving 2. to give the engine more fuel to make it go faster ONCE moving and 3. to help the engine slow down (by lifting your foot off it). Once you have applied a little pressure to the gas pedal for fuel and your left foot hasn’t moved from below the dull tone or “biting point” you can now release the parking or hand brake if it’s safe to move away. If the vehicle doesn’t move (which it shouldn’t if it’s on the level and the clutch was below the dull tone – to make it move, keep the same slight pressure on the gas pedal for fuel and allow the clutch up the width of a quarter coin at a time very slowly until the vehicle moves and hold your clutch where it is once you move. Do not be tempted to allow the clutch up any more at this time. When the vehicle has travelled the length of itself then and only then allow the clutch up all the way slowly about the width of two quarters a second to the count of 1 2 3 4 5. Each number spoken represents one second and the width of two quarters. You are now moving in first gear. Hopefully that helps. Regards

47. Will says:

If your that worried about rolling down the hill use the hand break